- Allstate ranked below average for customer service satisfaction in most regions nationwide, according to 2021 data.
- This provider offers a plethora of auto insurance discounts you can qualify for, as well as its own driving-based Allstate Drivewise program.
- Allstate features an easy online claims process, as well as an online portal where you can track your policy information and payments.
Allstate is one of the most popular auto insurers nationwide, and this is partly due to the company’s marketing efforts. After all, the company slogan — “You’re in good hands” — gives potential customers a warm and fuzzy feeling about the coverage they’re buying, and their low introductory rates for new customers can easily lure people in.
Unfortunately, not all Allstate customers are happy with their experience when it comes time to file a claim. This is evidenced by J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, which ranked Allstate below average for customer service satisfaction in 10 out of 11 regions nationwide. Some Allstate car insurance customers have also complained about premiums that inch up over time, as well as problems getting claims covered or reimbursed.
If you’re shopping for car insurance, however, you’ll quickly find that all insurers have their downsides. Keep reading to learn how Allstate Auto Insurance stacks up to the competition, when you should consider it and how to qualify for the best car insurance rates.
About the Company
- Allstate Insurance was originally founded in 1931, and they have since grown to become a top provider of auto insurance, homeowners insurance, umbrella insurance and more.
- As of July 2021, Allstate Insurance Group boasts an A+ (Superior) rating for their financial strength from A.M. Best.
- This company offers a rewards program for customers who use their Drivewise program, which lets you earn points you can redeem for merchandise, sweepstakes entries and more.
- Customer reviews for Allstate are mixed. Currently, Allstate has an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars among customer reviews on Consumer Affairs.
- Allstate offers auto insurance in all 50 states with an array of discounts available.
- Allstate also offers a robust roadside assistance program that can provide coverage for less than $7 per month during your first year.
|Coverage / Driver Profile||Male, 23||Female, 23||Male, 53||Female, 53|
|50/100/50 – Liability Only||$77 per month||$77 per month||$64 per month||$62 per month|
|With Un/Under-insured Motorist and Collision & Comprehensive||$272 per month||$200 per month||$155 per month||$143 per month|
|100/300/100 – Liability Only||$82 per month||$82 per month||$84 per month||$82 per month|
|With Un/Under-insured Motorist and Collision & Comprehensive||$298 per month||$205 per month||$172 per month||$150 per month|
The sample auto insurance premiums shared in the chart above are based on Houston, Texas drivers ages 23 and 53. Each quote is for a single insured driver who owns a 2018 Toyota Camry and drives approximately 12,000 miles per year. Quotes in the chart are for male and female drivers with no accident history who are employed full-time.
Note: Liability limits are expressed in a three-number sequence that looks like XX/XX/XX. The first number in the sequence is the amount of coverage for an injury to one person in an accident that’s determined to be your fault. The second number is the coverage limit for all injured parties in a single accident, while the third is coverage for property damage to other people’s property.
Allstate does have some unique features that help them stand out as an auto insurance provider. Some of these features provide additional coverage that can help protect against financial losses, while others help customers secure lower auto insurance premiums overall.
- Rideshare coverage: Allstate offers rideshare coverage in nearly every state, which makes it easy for Uber or Lyft drivers to add this coverage to their personal auto insurance policy.
- Drivewise Program: The Allstate Drivewise program lets you save on auto insurance premiums when you agree to install a monitoring device in your car. This device can help you secure discounts when you drive within speed limits, avoid braking incidents and avoid accidents.
- Allstate Rewards: Allstate Rewards lets customers earn points toward merchandise and sweepstakes entries when they use the Drivewise program and achieve certain driving milsteones.
- Deductible Rewards: Allstate customers can get $100 off their deductible for signing up and another $100 off their deductible for each year they remain accident-free. The total deductible discount you can gain through this program is capped at $500.
- Accident Forgiveness: This program allows you to maintain current rates when you’re at fault in an accident. In other words, your auto insurance rates won’t surge when you need to file a claim.
- Safe Driving Bonus: Add this program to your policy and you can get a bonus when you are accident-free. Allstate auto insurance customers are eligible for a bonus every six months.
- New Car Replacement: If your car is totaled, having this feature on your policy means you’ll get a new car replacement instead of a check for the depreciated value of your vehicle.
- Allstate Mobile app: The Allstate mobile app makes it easy to file a claim, monitor your policy and pay your auto insurance premiums from your favorite mobile device.
Roadside Assistance: You can purchase premium roadside assistance coverage with your policy. This protection provides 24/7 assistance when you have a flat tire, you run out of gas or you encounter a problem when driving your vehicle.
Allstate Car Insurance Discounts
One of the major benefits of using Allstate auto insurance is the fact you may be eligible for so many discounts. Also note that the Allstate insurance company lets you combine or “stack” discounts to achieve the lowest rates you possibly can, which is something you’ll quickly notice when you take the time to get an Allstate insurance quote.
Which car insurance discounts from Allstate are most popular? The following discounts could apply to your policy:
- New car discount: You can save big on your auto insurance premiums if you insure a brand new car with Allstate.
- Multi-policy discount: Save money with Allstate when you insure more than one vehicle, or when you bundle your Allstate car insurance with homeowners insurance, renter’s insurance or another type of coverage.
- Smart student discount: You may be eligible for additional discounts if you meet Allstate’s “smart student” requirements by maintaining a GPA of 2.7 or above, attending a teenSMART driver education program or attending school at least 100 miles from where your car is garaged.
- Equipment discounts: Save on Allstate car insurance premiums when you have anti-lock brakes or an anti-theft device installed on your car.
- Payment discounts: Pay less for car insurance if you pay for six months of premiums in full, you set up automatic withdrawals for your premiums each month or you enroll in paperless billing.
- Safe driving discounts: You’ll also pay lower premiums when you remain accident-free and claims-free each year.
Who Allstate Auto Insurance is Best For
As you begin your search for a new auto insurance policy, you’ll probably consider the premiums you’re asked to pay first and foremost. However, you should make sure you’re making a true “apples to apples” comparison if you’re mostly shopping around based on price. For example, make sure the coverage you’re comparing from Allstate and other providers features the same coverage limits and deductibles, as well as the same add-ons and extras.
With this being said, Allstate insurance can be far superior for certain types of consumers, including:
- Rideshare drivers who want to bundle coverage for their side hustle into their personal auto insurance policy
- People who can qualify for multiple insurance discounts that help them lower premiums
- Anyone who plans to bundle their Allstate auto insurance with homeowners insurance, renter’s insurance coverage or another type of insurance
- Excellent drivers who want to use the Drivewise program to save based on their everyday driving habits
- Anyone with a good driving record who could qualify for lower premiums based on their age, gender, credit score and other factors
At the end of the day, the best way to know if Allstate is for you is to take the time to get an Allstate insurance quote. From there, you can compare coverage levels and premiums from Allstate with quotes from competing auto insurance providers.
Allstate vs. Other Insurance Companies
Speaking of comparing quotes, there are plenty of other top auto insurance companies you should check out. Many even feature better customer service ratings than Allstate, and you could have the potential to qualify for lower rates based on the information you provide in your application.
|GEICO||State Farm||Liberty Mutual|
|Discounts offered||Vehicle equipment discountsDiscounts for driving history and habitsGood Driver discountGood student discountFederal employee and military discountsMultiple policies||Vehicle equipment discountsDiscounts for driving history and habitsAccident-free discountsMultiple auto policyMultiple line discountsGood student discount||Vehicle equipment discountsDiscounts for driving history and habitsHomeowner discountMilitary discountMultiple policy discountGood student discountEarly shopper discount|
|Ratings for customer service in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study||Scored above average in 3 out of 11 regions nationwide||Scored above average in 10 out of 11 regions nationwide||Scored above average in 2 out of 9 regions where offered nationwide|
|Customer star rating (Consumer Affairs)||3.7 out of 5 stars||3.9 out of 5 stars||4 out of 5 stars|
|Financial strength rating (A.M. Best)||A++||A++||A|
What To Know About Car Insurance
Before you invest in a car insurance policy, you should know about the different types of coverage you can buy, what they provide protection for and how important they are. Generally speaking, auto insurance coverage is meant to provide property, liability and medical coverage.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III),
- Property coverage pays to repair damage to a car, or to replace a car in the event of a theft.
- Liability coverage pays for bodily injury or property damage caused to others.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses when the insured is at fault or responsible.
Other major types of car insurance protection include:
- Collision coverage, which pays for damage to the policyholder’s car when an accident takes place
- Comprehensive coverage, which kicks in to pay for theft or damage to a car that is not caused by a collision with another car
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, which pays for covered losses when a covered driver is hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver
In addition to understanding the types of protection your auto insurance company can include, you should also understand policy limits for different types of coverage, as well as state minimum coverage amounts that can vary based on where you live. While state minimum auto insurance coverage can help you meet the legal limits for being an insured driver, you should know this amount of coverage may not be enough if you’re in an accident where substantial losses occur.
The Insurance Information Institute (III) features a chart that shows the minimum amount of liability coverage you’re required to have based on the state you live in. Keep these minimum limits in mind, but also know that cheap car insurance may or may not provide enough coverage to protect you from substantial financial losses when you’re in an accident.
The Bottom Line
Allstate could provide the auto insurance coverage you need for a price you can afford, but you’ll never really know unless you check. As you shop around for quotes, make sure to see whether you’re eligible for Allstate auto insurance discounts, including “easy” discounts you can get by enrolling in paperless billing or paying for six months of premiums upfront. Also check how your rates might change if you go with higher or lower coverage limits, or if you agree to install a Drivewise device in your vehicle.
While you’re taking the time to get an Allstate insurance quote, however, you should make sure you’re comparing coverage limits and premiums across at least two or three other insurance providers. Auto insurance premiums can vary widely across different insurance companies, and shopping around is the best way to make sure you don’t overpay.
Allstate Auto Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Allstate a bad insurance company?
Allstate is not a “bad” insurance company at all, but they do have room for improvement. After all, the company scored below average for customer satisfaction in 10 out of 11 regions profiled in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study. Then again, Allstate does have an A+ rating from A.M. Best for their financial strength.
Is Progressive cheaper than Allstate?
Your auto insurance rates will vary from company to company, so make sure to compare premiums for the same level of coverage with Progressive and Allstate.
How do I check my Allstate insurance policy?
You can read over your policy declarations and other details on Allstate.com when you create an account. You can also check your Allstate policy details on the company’s mobile app.
How do I contact Allstate Insurance?
You can contact Allstate Insurance at 1-800-ALLSTATE.